Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Salty's Fish and Chips | 8-3960 Shelbourne Street | 250.590.6162


There is a time in every addict's life when he/she is deafened by the thud of his/her health and dignity hitting the bottom of the barrel. I came all to close to crashing through the bottom of the pit a couple weeks ago at Salty's.

What compels a man to have three pieces of fish and chips for breakfast, when he knows a breaded breaky cannot provide the comfort he seeks? I was walking a tightrope at Salty's—trying to consume just enough grease and oil to feel triumphant, but I went too far. Gourging on fish and chips can place you in a fog of regret at the best of times, but going into it ten minutes after getting out of bed completely gassed me.

The light breading of the cod tricked me into thinking I was going to have an easy ride: not so. About halfway through my third piece I was labouring. Other food addicts know the feeling—eating is no longer about pleasure, it's about persevering towards a respectable performance.

There are a lot of fish and chips options in town, and Salty's may not be the best, but you could do a lot worse (I'm told Pluto's is a significantly more blech AYCE experience). However, the fish at Salty's tasted like it was probably frozen at some point in its journey to my plate, and this didn't make eating all-you-can-eat style any easier.

This would have been fine as a lunchtime meal, but after three pieces and half a plate of Mcain's style fries; I was seriously considering an Alaimo style swearing off of any further attempts to try and eat my way to piece of mind. Another helping of chips (yes it's not just the fish that is AYCE) and I could have ended up doing something drastic... like chasing a dream, or getting involved in sports, or whatever else people ditching vices do.

However, it was obvious that my post-Salty's hangover had not been the I've-lost-my-septum-because-I'm-blowing-my-mind-on-yak-every-night-and-yesterday-it-got-too-much-so-I-tried-to-hang-myself-in-my-parents-garage-but-I'm-fat-and-the-moosehead-I-was-using-as-a-brace-got-ripped-out-of-the-wall-and-now-I-am-rethinking-my-teenage-wild-girl-lifestyle type of realization that others have had. Days later I was in a car on my way Pizza Hut Buffet in Duncan—and it was glorious.

Food is still the best vice of all, and I'm not giving it up. If Salty's helped me realise this, perhaps it's worth a trip for you too.


Price: $12
All-You-Can-Eat is only available Tuesdays

Rating: 3.3



9 comments:

David said...

No new posts for a month, and I catch this one a few hours after you put it up. I'm still obsessed with this blog, I admit it.

dk said...

Guy, the founder of the blog, retired from buffet review. I've taken over maintenance of the blog, but I only post here every 3 months or so. I will post a Pizza Hut Buffet review sometime in the next week or two though.

Anonymous said...

If your idea of eating out is greasy, unappetizing food, bad service & on top of it all expensive, then frequent Salty's fish & chips on Shelbourne. Do not waste your time in complaining to the owner that you only received half your order as all they will offer you is a free order the next time you want take out - seems they forget you already paid for something they didn't provide and then are surprised when you want reimbursing for the missing order....!! and end up hanging up on you, after telling you they have excellent customer service.

Anonymous said...

Yes I had the same thing happen to me.They had a couldn't care less attitude & when I said I would not return they then said "well they had nothing to worry about".What kind of service is that when you have just spent money with them.I will let everyone I know how rude they are.The fish & chips aren't that good either.

Angelo said...

To Anonymous above.

First off, if you are going to post an anonymous comment bashing a restaurant and then follow it up with another libelous post also bashing the restaurant, be smart enough to at least post them a week apart.

Do you think people are dumb enough to not realize two consecutive comments, 7 minutes apart, might be one person posting two consecutive bashing comments to prove their point?

Just for the record, these are the first two comments on the blog in a few weeks. The fact they popped up in such a short time frame as well as on the exact same post is further evidence that the post is from one disgruntled person.

Moreover, the style and grammar of the English and the usage of the & character been the two posts is consistent. Barely anyone uses the & symbol for 'and'.

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure which Salty's you went to but I absolutely love the fish at the Salty's on Craigflower. Beats Bradys by a long shot.

shi zhan said...

レイバン aviatorシリーズを言えば、ハリウッドスターやセレブのイメージが浮かぶのが普通。だけど、最近日本でもかなり流行りだしたようで、ファッションリーダーや有名人の間でもよく見えるレイバン モデルとなった。一番人気の高いのがレイバン RB3025だそうで、街中にもよく見かける。

Anonymous said...

Wczasy nad morzem

and

Noclegi w pobierowie

Anonymous said...

Urlop nad morzem
Fajne wczasy pobierowo